Having gums that bleed is a relatively common condition, usually caused by poor oral hygiene or infection. Luckily though, bleeding gums are typically easy to treat. Most dentists recommend that patients amp up their oral hygiene routine and incorporate more thorough brushing and flossing to prevent bleeding gums; however, suppose you are already doing these things to no avail. In that case, a new study by Nutrition Reviews suggests that you may be deficient in essential ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C.
In this study, researchers analyzed the results of 15 clinical trials from six countries and data from more than 8,000 participants in the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. They found a clear correlation between bleeding of the gums with gentle probing and subjects who were low in vitamin C. Furthermore, boosting these subjects’ daily intake of vitamin C helped reverse those issues.
It’s important to note here that the findings and vitamin C recommendations in this study are meant to be used to protect against scurvy. This deadly disease is caused by extremely low levels of vitamin C and often causes bleeding gums.
How to Incorporate More Vitamin C Into Your Day
It’s currently recommended that adults get about 500 milligrams of vitamin C per day for optimal health. However, while it isn’t difficult for most people to meet this requirement, some diets or eating habits may make the task more challenging. If you’re having trouble achieving the daily recommended amount, there are several ways to add more vitamin C into your diet:
- Eat your fruits and vegetables. Various foods, including chili peppers, guavas, sweet yellow peppers, thyme, kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, lemons, strawberries, and oranges, are rich in vitamin C. Try incorporating some of these fresh foods into your everyday diet.
- Take a supplement to help you reach 500mg of vitamin C per day. There are a wide variety of supplements available on the market today, including pill, gummy, and liquid options. Choose one that is convenient and easy for you to take.
Benefits of Vitamin C
Aside from helping you maintain healthy gums, vitamin C is beneficial for several other essential functions in the body:
- It is necessary for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues.
- It aids with bodily functions, such as the formation of collagen, absorption of iron, and the proper functioning of the immune system.
- It may help with managing high blood pressure and can lower the risk of heart disease.
- It protects your memory and thinking as you age.
Consult a Dental Professional
If you notice that your gums are bleeding regularly, despite great at-home oral care, consider visiting your local dentist. Here at Kip Dental, our team is committed to discovering the root cause of your gum issue and finding the best treatment for you.
We are currently accepting new patients and are happy to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to make an appointment.