When you decide to straighten your teeth, you’re making a big commitment. You’ll have to dedicate more time to taking care of your teeth to make sure your orthodontic treatment goes well. The team at Kip Dental wants to help make your treatment successful, so we put together this best practice guide for wearing braces.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing Braces
When you have braces, there are a few things that you simply should not do. You might have to stop eating some of your favorite snacks. You might have to break a few habits like biting your nails or chewing gum. You’ll also have to learn how to brush your teeth all over again. Here are some of the most important do’s and don’ts when it comes to wearing braces.
What to do when you have braces:
- DO brush and floss with care. Take extra time to make sure you brush every surface of your teeth, gums, and braces. Flossing when you have braces gets a little tricky, so if you can, use a water flosser to make it easier.
- DO follow your orthodontist’s instructions. Every person’s treatment is unique, and your orthodontist will have special instructions just for you. Take everything they say very seriously to make sure you get the best results from your braces.
- DO call your orthodontist if your braces break or get damaged. Broken braces are a dental emergency! A snapped wire or popped bracket can cause serious damage to your teeth and gums, and will need to be repaired right away.
- DO cut food up into small bites. Eating soft foods like yogurt, soup, and scrambled eggs is best when you have braces, but you can eat almost any food as long as it’s bite-sized. If it won’t get caught in your braces, just chew carefully and you can keep enjoying your favorites.
What not to do when you have braces:
- DON’T pull up on your dental floss when it’s underneath a wire. If you bend or snap a wire, it could jeopardize the entire straightening process. If there’s something caught in your braces that you can’t remove, it’s best to visit your dentist for a professional cleaning.
- DON’T eat hard, sticky, or fibrous foods. Avoid any foods that might get caught in your braces or break them. Nuts, caramel, popcorn, celery, beef jerky, spinach—anything that’s difficult to chew or easily trapped in your teeth is a “don’t” while you have braces.
- DON’T drink anything that might stain your teeth. Beverages like coffee, cola, colorful sports drinks and red wine can all discolor your tooth enamel. Drinking too many of these beverages could leave stains around your braces.
- DON’T chew on your fingernails, ice cubes, or objects like pens. Chewing on hard objects could make you break your braces or even a tooth! Chewing gum is out, too—if you need a breath freshener, try mouthwash or sugar-free mints instead.
Looking for an Orthodontist in Littleton?
If you’re ready to straighten your teeth with Invisalign or braces, contact Kip Dental today to schedule a consultation. We can advise you on whether you need any other dental work before you get started. We partner with Colorado Family Orthodontics, so if the time is right, our expert staff can refer you to a trusted, local orthodontist.